WA Greens Senator Jordon Steele-John is seeking a passionate and engaged person to join his team in the role of Social Media Manager, based in his Perth office with occasional travel intrastate and to Canberra.
This position will deliver cutting-edge digital engagement and social media strategies and database management techniques, creating and executing content that delivers positive interactions, builds community and drives engagement across our social channels.
This role works across Senator Steele-John’s portfolios: Youth, Disability Rights & Services, Veterans Affairs, Trade and Peace & Disarmament; and includes other priority areas such as Climate Change.
Pay & conditions:
The position is offered under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984, and employment conditions are outlined in the Members of Parliament (Staff) Enterprise Agreement 2016-2019. In addition to the salary, employer-sponsored superannuation of 15% is offered.
The position is offered at an Electorate Officer A classification ($68,482 per annum) with up to an additional Electorate Staff Allowance of up to $18,000 per annum. This position is for 12 months (with the possibility of an extension), or until the end of the 46th Parliament. A three-month probation period will apply.
Key work areas:
Deliver and evolve digital content and engagement strategy with the goals of:
- Building the Senator’s online profile using existing platforms and the latest digital innovations
- Building, engaging, organising and managing identified communities online
- Raising the profile and authenticity of the Senator’s voice in portfolio and other priority areas via the delivery of issues-based campaigns
- Propose and integrate new tactics and platforms to connect with communities of interest
- Coordinate content across all digital channels, ensuring it is strategic, timely and engaging
These might include:
- Work with the Campaigns Team Lead and the Communications Adviser in the development of scripts, filming and editing of video content
- Assist with the creation and monitoring of advertisements across all social platforms in line with strategic objectives
- Work with Campaign Team Lead to manage digital advertising budget
- Day-to-day management of social media accounts including YouTube, Instagram, twitter and Facebook and ensuring the accessibility of all content
- Ensure consistency of message distribution across all digital communications, including the coordination of responses to escalated issues and incident management online
- Implement the Digital Interaction Response Strategy to ensure timely responses to Direct Message and comments via the Senator’s social media accounts
- Maintain and update the Senator’s websites in line with digital objectives - GreensMPs and Australian Greens
- Accompany Senator during WA based community engagement activities, as required
Demonstrated digital communications skills including experience in:
- delivering and evaluating social and digital marketing, with a strong understanding of content creation and marketing
- utilising the latest digital communication tools, online publishing techniques and other rapidly developing media
- identifying and engaging with online communities via social media, particularly Facebook and Instagram
- Graphic design and/or photography skills and a demonstrated ability to develop organic content in line with a brief or messaging guide
The following skills are highly regarded:
- Ability to film and edit video footage (please outline tools or software proficiency)
- Ability to create digital content such as graphics, gifs and memes (please outline tools or software proficiency)
- Ability to work as part of a team, under pressure and to strict deadlines, with minimal supervision
- Commitment to the Australian Greens’ principles and Charter
- Experience in working in digital campaign in a political, community or lobbying organisation
- Video productions skills in line with a brief or messaging guide
- Experience in web design and development or a related communications discipline, or relevant experience, including web technical skills, knowledge of HTML, CSS, Drupal and CiviCRM
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or existing participation and use of alternate online platforms such as Reddit, LinkedIn and others are also desirable
- Ability to work effectively with volunteers
Please note all employees are expected to sign a confidentiality and code of conduct agreement prior to the commencement of their employment.
The Australian Greens actively encourage applications from any interested and qualified people. We don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, age, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability. We welcome people with culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for all our roles. We recognise the richness and value of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and the unique knowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander employees bring to workplaces, policy development and service delivery.