Victorian Greens leader Samantha Ratnam MLC is seeking expressions of interest from a motivated and experienced political communications specialist with campaigning experience to join the Victorian Greens parliamentary staff team, in a senior role.
The Director of Communications role is part of the senior leadership team for the Victorian Greens MPs, working across all MPs offices to provide high level communications and campaign advice, and ensuring effective communication of the work of the Victorian Greens MPs.
The Director of Communications will advise the Victorian Greens Party Room on long and short-term political messaging and communications, and helping to set a communications strategy for the MPs and their staff and implementing it.
This will include:
- Developing communications plans and strategy for the next few years.
- Commissioning and advising on communications research.
- Advising MPs on effective messaging – both long and short-term.
- Helping advise on and implement crisis communications where needed.
- Coordinating communications plans and issues-based campaigns across staff in four different MPs offices, working with external experts and directly with MPs.
- Producing and reviewing communications content across various platforms, including email blasts, social media, websites, printed materials and other channels.
The role requires you to have an ability to maintain strict confidence on all issues associated with your duties and exercise sound judgment.
The role will report to the Chief of Staff, supervise the Media Advisor and work closely with communications staff in the four MPs offices.
Key selection criteria - we’re looking for someone with:
- Qualifications and/or experience in political communications, including developing and implementing successful communications strategies and plans, developing and utilising communications research, and an understanding of crisis communications.
- Great political nous and judgement. We want someone who is great at translating policy into messages that inspire and motivate people.
- Demonstrated understanding of contemporary communications channels and what it takes to develop high quality and successful email blasts, social media posts, website content, leaflets and scripts for materials that engage, influence and inspire the community.
- Experience in issues-based campaigning in a progressive environment and understanding of and experience with different campaigning tools and methods. Experience in graphic design and managing email campaigns through programs such as Nation Builder would be an advantage.
- Excellent people skills, experience in managing small teams and the ability to coordinate work across diverse groups of people to achieve outcomes. A large part of this job is making sure staff in different offices understand and implement our communications plans effectively.
- A strong understanding of the Victorian political context, of effective political and issues-based campaign strategies, and a demonstrated commitment to Greens values. If you’ve worked on campaigns in a political or NGO/issues-based environment, this will be an advantage.
- Proven ability to work independently, efficiently, with flexibility and adaptability while manage competing priorities, and work well under pressure to meet tight and demanding deadlines. Politics is often a fast-moving, high-pressure and uncertain environment and you’d need to thrive in these scenarios.
Terms of appointment
This position is being recruited under the terms and conditions of Parliamentary Advisors. This is a full time position 1.0 EFT but less than full-time will be considered for the right candidate. Parliamentary Advisors are able to be employed for 4 years until the 2022 State election.
The role will be located in inner city Melbourne, and will require you to work at different offices.
Parliamentary Advisors are employees of the Victorian Parliament, and accountable to the Parliamentary Leader of the Victorian Greens. Parliamentary Advisors have a main role in supporting the work of the AGV Party Room, a position which requires a high degree of loyalty, versatility and the ability to maintain confidentiality on behalf of the AGV Members of Parliament.
For administrative reasons Parliamentary Advisors are currently on contract until 22 June 2019 at a salary of $83, 900, equivalent to an Electorate Office Level 3 position. Ongoing salary and employment conditions for Parliamentary Advisors post-22 June 2019 have yet to be finalised by the government. Further discussions about salary can occur once the post-22 June employment conditions have been finalised.