About the organisation:
Life Without Barriers is a leading social purpose, not for profit organisation of 7,000 employees working in more than 440 communities across Australia. We support children, young people and families, people with disability, older people and people with mental illness. We work with people who are homeless and refugees and asylum seekers.
We want to employ people who reflect the diversity of our clients to ensure we can support each client's individual needs and wants. We encourage people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background and people with disability to apply.
About the role:
We are seeking a passionate Support Worker to join the LWB team in Cooktown on a casual basis. You must live in Cooktown and have mobile phone coverage.
This position is responsible for actively supporting the needs of women and their children who access Life Without Barriers’ Family and Domestic Violence shelter.
- Provide quality direct support to clients in line with their support needs, the program they are accessing, and all support plans including the client’s Individual Goal Plan
- Liaise and collaborate with clients, their community and community support agencies such as DV Connect, Housing, ATODS, and other services to ensure an integrated and timely service
- When delegated, fulfil a key worker role with supervision and support from line management
- Establish rapport and collaborate effectively with clients accessing the shelter to achieve positive outcomes
- Maintain the shelter daily to ensure a homely, hygienic and safe environment is provided
- Maintain and update professional skills by actively participating in personal, professional, service development and training opportunities
Skills & experience:
- Certificate III in Community Welfare, or similar, or willingness to complete this within first two years of employment
- Valid unrestricted drivers licence
- Valid First Aid Certificate and CPR Certification
- Demonstrated problem solving and conflict management skills
- Demonstrated communication skills, including the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders (including families of service users)
- The ability to maintain clients privacy, confidentiality and dignity through inclusive, empowering and strength-based practice
Successful candidates will be required to clear probity checks including National Criminal History Record Check and Working with Children Check.
- Make a difference in your local community
- Work for one of Australia's largest social purpose organisations
- Competitive hourly rate and penalty rates