- Type: Part Time
- Location: Cecil Hills and Hinchinbrook
House with No Steps (HWNS) is a leading provider of quality residential, employment and business services to people with disabilities both physical and intellectual throughout NSW, VIC, ACT and QLD.
We believe in empowering people to experience a full and valued life to the best of their ability. We work as a team with our customers, their families and carers to visualise and reach for the individuals’ dreams and goals that are meaningful to them. In enabling this, our teams provide mentoring, advice, inspiration and facilitation for people to achieve their unique and positive future.
We are committed to innovation, continuous improvement and building strong relationships.
We are currently recruiting for several part time support worker positions. We are looking for individuals with a commitment to making a difference to work within a complex environment supporting people with a variety of mental health issues, epilepsy and disability. You would preferably have experience working with people impacted by trauma.
To become part of the team at HWNS and work in roles that are both challenging and rewarding you will:
- Have genuine and positive regard for people with a disability and their families.
- Enjoy supporting people to be active participants in their community, with a commitment to motivating people to achieve personal goals and independence.
- Understand the importance and processes of active support to ensure inclusion and promote independence.
- Have experience in the disability sector or a genuine interest working in the disability field.
- Would enjoy supporting people to be active inclusive participants in their community, and be committed to motivating people to achieve personal goals leading to further independence.
- Have the ability to attend to and support others with personal care, domestic duties, transportation and social supports in a respectful way.
- Ability to think outside of box when it comes to delivery of individual supports and activities.
- Commitment to motivating people we support to achieve personal goals, enabling community participation and independence skills building, through person centred practices.
- Knowledge of and awareness of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
- Available to work on a rotating flexible roster, which may include a combination of shifts including days, afternoons, active nights, sleepovers and weekend shifts.
- A capacity to meet the physical requirements of the job that may include manual handling tasks and personal care.
- Well-developed communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage the administrative tasks associated with the role and good computer competency with MS Office.
- A willingness to learn and grow within the support worker role including participation in ongoing training.
- The capacity to work in a small team environment and at times independently.
- A commitment to gaining an understanding of and working with HWNS Values, Mission and the Disability Services Standards.
- Current Valid Driver’s Licence.
- Willingness to use own vehicle (if required) with comprehensive insurance.
- Current First Aid Certificate.
- Current Working with Children Check (or willing to obtain).
- Willingness to obtain a current Police Check
- Previous experience working with people impacted by trauma
- Cert III or higher in individual support
- NVCI training
- PEG feeding
- Administration of medication training
If you are passionate about supporting people with disabilities to be active, inclusive participants in their communities and would like to work in a role that is both challenging and rewarding, we would love to hear from you.
We offer career development opportunities, access to comprehensive competency based staff training, salary packaging options and access to employee benefits programs (incl. EAP, Fitness Passport, health fund, pharmacy discounts).