Care about people and the planet? Passionate about building power? Pumped about taking on big polluters and their political puppets? Ready to lead a team of brilliant communicators to give GetUp members the best chance of securing a life free from polluting energy? If the answer is yes, we need you.
As GetUp’s Environmental Justice Campaigns Director, you'll lead GetUp’s campaigns on the reef, renewables, coal, gas and pollution with your team of campaigners. This means crafting strategy, honing your political sass, communicating like a demon and inspiring GetUp members to build a powerful movement.
If you can dig into wonky policy and make sense of it to engage people with busy lives; if you can cobble together cooperation from an array of stakeholders with different views; if you’re a savvy online communicator who knows the difference between a hashtag and a handle; and if you’re passionate about creating a socially just Australia – you could be perfect.
This position is preferably Sydney based but Melbourne and Brisbane could be negotiable for the right candidate.
As the Environmental Justice Campaigns Director, your role encompasses a range of responsibilities, including:
- Devise and deliver priority environmental justice campaigns strategy;
- Contribute to GetUp’s election, organisational and other campaign strategies;
- Manage a team of communicators: driving a can-do team culture, setting and achieving clear collective and individual goals, supporting evaluation and learning;
- Drive several national campaigns that:
- Set ambitious goals and implement strategic plans to win;
- Achieve demonstrable social change outcomes;
- Creatively combine online and offline campaign techniques;
- Provide opportunities for our members to meaningfully influence political outcomes;
- Report team activities to the National Director, members and other stakeholders.
- Ensure your team’s fundraising goals are met.
Here are some things you might do in a typical day:
- Write, edit, or proof an email or social media content that inspires our members to take action on a range of environmental issues
- Get to the bottom of the latest policy development and take the wonky-ness out of it
- Lock yourself away to crank out a 3 month campaign plan
- Meet with key allies to map out plans for your shared campaigns to work together towards victory
- Arrange and lead on a meeting with a key MP or Senator
- Lead an all-staff brainstorm for a stunt on Parliament Lawn, then go make it happen
- Draft concepts and scripts for an ad in rapid-response to sudden changes in policy
- Monitor the news for key developments on your campaign.
You will be someone who is:
- Passionate about creating change on progressive issues, specifically on climate justice and the clean energy transformation
- A formidable organiser and manager
- Adept at thinking through complex politics and communicating simply and clearly
- A team player who is always bringing off-the-wall, creative ideas to the table
- An exceptional communicator who thrives in an extremely fast-paced environment
- Capable of working autonomously on a range of varied tasks and projects, and takes the initiative doing whatever it takes to get the job done
- Can coordinate a team to success, celebrate and evaluate.
Bonus points for:
- Electoral campaigning experience
- Policy training or experience
- Project or stakeholder management experience
- Photoshop or related design skills
- Basic HTML knowledge
- Experience producing impactful campaigns
If even a couple of these criteria speak to you, you could be the perfect person for the job.
Formal education, qualifications and extensive experience matter less to us than excellence, initiative and drive.
At GetUp, we know our capacity to win is increased when our team has a diversity of backgrounds and experience. We encourage applicants from a diversity of genders, cultural backgrounds and experiences to apply.