Who we are:
Environment Victoria is one of Australia’s leading environment charities, working towards big, lasting change to protect our precious environment. Independent and not for profit, we’re a growing community of Victorians standing up for a safe climate, healthy rivers and a sustainable future.
Who you are:
The position of Community Organising Program Manager is responsible for coordinating our Community Organising team to build people power and deliver tactics for our Beyond Coal and Westernport campaigns, and to support a decentralised network of volunteers across the state. The Organising Manager works with our campaigns and communications teams to deliver smart and strategic on-ground campaigns. The role also works with organisational partners and cross-sector allies.
In 2020, the role will coordinate our organising work to ensure strong Emissions Reduction Targets at the state level, oversee our engagement and organising work in the Latrobe Valley and our help coordinate our campaign to stop the proposed development of a gas import terminal in Westernport Bay.
The position is a 12 month, near full-time (0.8FTE) parental leave fill position, to begin 9 December 2019. It will require some travel, after-hours work and having a driver’s license makes it easier.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership for Environment Victoria’s community organising and power-building efforts to help meet Environment Victoria’s mission and campaign goals. This includes overseeing organising program and campaign strategy development and planning, budgets, campaign and tactical implementation, communication and evaluation, and cross-team integration
- Oversee EV’s movement building work – our Community Organising program delivery, including volunteer recruitment, volunteer group building and support and leadership development and training
- Work closely with the Campaigns Manager and Communications Managers to effectively plan and deliver campaigns through our campaign working group structure
- Oversee delivery of Environment Victoria’s Just Transition organising in the Latrobe Valley, supporting the Senior Organiser with strategic oversight, ensuring the effective facilitation of a local conversation on economic diversification. In addition, oversee local tactical delivery and the integration of this work into EV’s broader mission and purpose and day to day campaign goals and operations
- Oversee organising tech and infrastructure, and manage the campaigns and organising teams to get the most out of our tech systems
- Manage, guide and mentor organising program staff, volunteer leaders and volunteers
- Act as a key Environment Victoria spokesperson on campaign and organising issues with donors, supporters and allies and represent Environment Victoria in media stories about our organising work
- Identify opportunities to raise funds for organising and campaign projects, supporting the fundraising team in the preparation and delivery of fundraising proposals and oversee the organising program and campaign budgets
- Contribute to Environment Victoria’s leadership team and provide support and assistance to the CEO and Board
- Coordinate Environment Victoria’s political strategy and advocacy
- Liaise with other NGO’s and allies to ensure coordinated and effective delivery of campaigns and the organising program
For further information, see the position description in the supporting document below.