- Position No: S12012
- Salary: $97,574 to $109,023 per annum
- Status: Permanent, Full-time
- Job share / flexible working options will be considered
- Located in Preston, five minute walk from the train station
Lead Council’s Community focused climate emergency programs, as part of the Climate Emergency and Sustainable Transport team. Make a difference to our community.
Darebin Council was the first Council to declare a Climate Emergency in 2017, and is recognised as a leader in climate action. We drive innovative community facing programs and partnerships addressing climate emergency.
We recognises that we are in a state of climate emergency, and we need to restore a safe climate at emergency speed, in order to avoid dramatic and negative impacts on our community and around the world.
About the role:
The Senior Environment Programs Officer (Climate Emergency) will manage a team to deliver Council’s community facing programs and partnerships addressing climate emergency.
The role includes community education and mobilisation, internal training on climate emergency within Darebin and climate emergency advocacy. You will also work with and support the Climate Emergency Darebin Advisory Committee.
To be successful you will have:
- A tertiary qualification in environmental management or science, or related field, and/or demonstrated equivalent competencies gained through substantial experience in these or related fields
- Demonstrated knowledge of climate change science and policy and programs at local, state and federal government levels, coupled with a sound understanding of the climate emergency movement and strategy
- Experience in designing, implementing and evaluating leading environmental programs, ideally within the context of local government
- Experience in delivering effective and leading community engagement projects, and working with diverse community groups
- Demonstrated project management, development and implementation experience including risk, budget and resource management
Benefits of joining:
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Flexible working options and arrangements available
- Social activities and social club
- Comprehensive health and wellbeing program
- Opportunities for secondments and promotions within the local government and wider Victorian Public Sector
- Supportive and inclusive culture
- Easily accessible by private transport and Preston train station