The Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union is one of Australia’s largest trade unions representing workers in the construction, maritime, manufacturing, mining, energy and related industries. The National Office of the union employs a number of key operational and campaign staff. The union seeks to engage a National Executive Officer.
The National Executive Officer is responsible for the day to day operation of the National Office and reports to the National Secretary. The successful applicant is likely to have extensive experience within the trade union movement. Experience as both an employee and an elected official will be highly regarded.
- Manage and co-ordinate the staff of the National Office
- Manage and co-ordinate the work of the National Office
- Facilitate team work within the National Office
- Ensure that the various functions within the National Office all contribute to the advancement of the political interests of the Union in a cohesive way
- Work with staff of the various Divisions, Branches and Districts to bring about successful outcomes
- Prepare reports for the National Secretary on all aspects of the work of the National Office
- Report on a regular basis to the National Secretary on all aspects of the work of the National Office
- Support the work of the National Secretary in:
- The organisation and conduct of meetings
- Lobbying work that needs to be undertaken
- Relationship management
- Political work
- Provide advice to the National Secretary on any issue required
- Any such other work that is required by the National Secretary
Key Selection Criteria
- Some level of experience across the majority of areas of work undertaken by the National office
- Ability and experience in managing staff from a range of backgrounds and with a range of skills and experience
- Ability and experience in building a team that will function cohesively in the interest of the Union
- Ability to formulate coherent plans based on decisions taken by elected officials
- High level communication skills
- Effective relationship management skills
- Experience in working in complex political environments
The National Executive Officer will report to the National Secretary and will be based in Melbourne.
Salary: $135,000 - $145,000 depending on qualifications and experience with generous superannuation and good conditions. This is an ongoing position.