Shelter NSW is the state’s peak housing policy and advocacy body with a vision for “A secure home for all”. Shelter provides independent advice, and undertakes policy and advocacy work, to address housing inequality in the NSW housing system. Shelter engages closely with stakeholders across all sectors – including government, non-government, the private sector, and academia – to influence better housing outcomes. Shelter places strong value on ensuring the voice of housing consumers is reflected in housing policy.
Achieving ‘a secure home for all’ underpins the key outcomes for this role. As CEO you will lead a small team to deliver systemic advocacy, commission research, and provide independent, expert advice on housing policy and planning.
Key outcomes for the role include:
- Reporting to the Board, the CEO provides high level advice on frameworks, policy, planning and operations
- Continue to develop, establish and sustain strategic relationships with Government departments, housing and homelessness peak bodies, academia, corporate and philanthropic supporters, and the broader housing community to achieve change in the housing system
- Maintain and enhance the reputation and profile of Shelter NSW as an independent, expert voice in the media and the broader public
- Stewardship of all business functions, finance, compliance, business systems with a focus on supporting and coaching staff to deliver quality outcomes
You will bring:
- Demonstrated management experience preferably as a CEO or equivalent level leading in a values based organisation ideally with graduate/post graduate qualifications in social science, policy or related discipline
- Contemporary experience of, or an understanding of, the current issues facing the housing system, relevant legislation, programs and policies relating to housing
- Proven ability to influence and develop strategic partnerships and take collaborative action that leads to change
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a collaborative and team-focussed leadership style and excellent people management skills
- Demonstrated experience in governance, budget preparation and control
- An ability to operate with a high level of influence, as well as managing day to day operations
The role is located in the CBD.