Live-in Carer (voluntary)
Employer: MacKillop Family Services
Work Type/s: Volunteer
Classification/s: Care & Support Work, Family Services, Housing & Homelessness, Youth
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 22 February, 2017.
Applications close: No Deadline – please apply as soon as possible
The Live-in Carer is a volunteer whose role is to provide a supportive environment for young people; to care for them and meet their day to day needs; and to oversee the smooth running of the house.
The Live-in Carer will:
- Provide a warm, safe and caring environment consistent with the young person’s needs and background, within the provided house;
- Provide an environment which nurtures and stimulates the young person’s development, so as to achieve their potential;
- Support the implementation of therapeutic case plans;
- Provide practical support to young people in gaining access to, and maintaining involvement in education, recreation and health services;
- Support the ongoing involvement of parents and family with their children;
- Protect and respect the rights of the young person;
- Provide accommodation services that reflect the organisation’s values, policies and practice frameworks including the Sanctuary model;
- Comply with MacKillop Family Services policies including ensuring that young people are not disciplined physically and providing a non-smoking environment;
- Comply with the Code of Conduct for Authorised Foster, Relative and Kinship Carers and MacKillop’s Foster Carer Agreement;
- Maintain records and documentation as required;
- Participate in relevant meetings relating to the young person.
The Live-in Carer will:
- Live rent free within a fully furnished and maintained house provided by MacKillop;
- Have access to a fully maintained motor vehicle;
- Receive a fortnightly carer allowance to assist with the financial support of caring for the young people;
- Have access to regular respite and 24-hour support.
The successful applicant/s will demonstrate the follow experience through a series of interviews and assessments:
- Demonstrated experience in caring for young people;
- Demonstrated understanding of youth behaviours and the ability to respond to their needs appropriately;
- Ability to assist young people to maintain contact with their families where appropriate;
- Willingness to work with the parents and families of the young people when appropriate;
- Good communication and negotiation skills;
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Understanding of their own capacities and limitations.
The incumbent is required to:
- Become an authorised MacKillop Foster Carer;
- Observe and actively support MacKillop’s WH&S policy and strategy;
- Attend mandatory and other training as required.
- Applicants must be Australian citizen or permanent resident.
The incumbent must possess a:
- Valid drivers licence;
- Satisfactory criminal history check;
- Working with Children Check.
A full position description is attached below.