Youth Transition Program Girls Coordinator - Mexico (voluntary)
Employer: Mision Mexico
Work Type/s: Volunteer
Classification/s: Care & Support Work, Education & Training, International Aid & Development, Social Work, Women's Organisations & Services, Youth
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 03 January, 2017.
Applications close: No Deadline – please apply as soon as possible
- Tapachula, Mexico
The Youth Transitional Program (YTP) is a program focusing on the young people at Misión México reaching adulthood to assist and support them into independent living whilst continuing with their education.
The young adults on this program are very much involved in the running of this program; their input is invaluable. The focus of this program is to empower our young people in a bid to break the cycle of poverty and abuse, and further create confident, competent young adults and positive role models who can successfully live independently.
The Youth Transition Program Girls Coordinator provides support to these women +13 years of age who are requiring intensive support to develop independent living and life skills. This is a live-in role and would require you to live on-site with 3 girls aged 18 years and over, with more girls moving on-site in the future. This position is for an immediate start and immediate applicants are encouraged to apply.
About Mision Mexico
Misión México is a place 50 children call home; a place where they are considered one of the family. It is somewhere they are loved and provided with opportunities for growth, development and advancement in all areas of their lives including education and emotional support.
Since Misión México was established in 2001, more than 250 children from various circumstances of need have been helped. These children, aged between three and 18, have been abused, abandoned, neglected and are often from extreme poverty. All have had an opportunity to escape the cycle of abuse and poverty and are enjoying a second chance at life.
With no Government support the refuge relies solely on the generosity of individuals, businesses and fundraising to continue its work. Please visit our website for more information.
Primary Objectives of the Role
Create a safe, secure and stable environment for young women, with a supportive learning environment that ensures their daily living skills are developed.
The focus of the training includes:
- Independent and practical living skills
- Health and nutrition
- Positive role modelling skills
- Education and employment
- Financial planning and budgeting
- Practical support sourcing employment
Personal development is also a critical element of the program to help improve their confidence, interpersonal and negotiation skills, and self-motivation.
Direct Service Delivery
- Oversee the day-to-day running of the household
- Consistently be a positive role model to the young people living within the household
- Support and encourage the participants to learn and develop social, communication, problem solving skills
- Develop strategies to help the young person identify and manage their emotions and behaviour
- Explore ways that the young person can help others and contribute to the community, for example volunteer work, peer mentoring
- Assist and encourage young people to develop domestic skills, routines and practice their independent living skills
- Ensure young person is exposed to appropriate role models
- Coordinate appropriate activities for the young people aged 12+ living in the main Misión México household e.g. cooking, shopping and developing self-confidence.
Administration & Project Management
- Manage individual development plans with youths on the program
- Conduct reviews with youths on the program to monitor progress
- Provide reports and updates to Misión México Directors and program funders
- Ensure policies and procedures relating to the program are up-to-date and implemented
- Manage all aspects of program budget and expenses with Misión México Office Administrator
- Assist with program funding applications by providing project updates, reviews and case studies
- Living expenses such as accommodation and utilities are covered as part of this role.
- A living stipend/honorarium is provided.
For more information, please view the detailed role description.