Employer: inTouch, Multicultural Centre against Family Violence
Work Type/s: Contract, Part Time
Classification/s: Family Services, Legal & Human Rights, Multiculturalism & Diversity, Women's Organisations & Services
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Brisbane & Gold Coast
Job posted on: 24 February, 2017.
Applications close: 17 March, 2017.
- 0.6 Fixed Term (18 months, possibility of extension)
- Not for Profit, attractive benefits pro rata 5 weeks paid leave, salary sacrifice packaging benefits
InTouch, the Multicultural Centre against Family Violence, is a statewide service, which provides services, programs and responses to issues of family violence in CALD communities. By acknowledging the rights and diverse experiences of our clients, we develop and implement a number of culturally sensitive and holistic models for the provision of services to both victims and perpetrators of family violence.
The inTouch Legal Centre was established in 2012 as an accredited community legal centre operating within the inTouch Multicultural Centre against Family Violence. The Centre was designed to fulfil an unmet need of its clients - the need for a specialised, in-house legal service which provides culturally-appropriate legal support within the same organisation in which they have already built a relationship of trust.
The inTouch Legal Centre has partnered with the Access Community Services to deliver the 99 Steps to Recovery: Logan Response to DFV in CALD Communities (99 Steps) service model and pilot program. The objective of this innovative and sustainable service delivery model is to target women in the prevention, crisis response and transition into recovery relating to DFV in CALD communities. 99 Steps will leverage expertise and extensive networks by integrating DFV counselling and access to legal support through intensive and integrated case management service delivery.
We are seeking a dynamic lawyer with demonstrated legal practice experience in Family Law. This role will see inTouch lawyer outposted at Access Community Service in Logan, Queensland and working in an integrated model of service delivery with Access Case Managers to provide a holistic service to CALD women on their journey to safety.
You will conduct legal casework of family violence and family law. Your work will include advice, drafting court documents, negotiating agreements and some court representation.
The successful candidate will be committed to social justice, be cultural competent with a genuine interest in seeking just outcomes for culturally diverse women and their children experiencing a range of legal issues.
- An attractive remuneration package above SCHADS award
- 9.5% superannuation
- Generous salary sacrifice & fringe benefit entitlements
- Pro-rata 5 weeks' paid annual leave and a flexible working environment
- Being part of a friendly, collaborative team of professionals who love and believe in what they
Key Selection Criteria
- Unrestricted Legal Practising Certificate in the State of Queensland pursuant to the Legal Profession Act 2004;
- Eligible to practice in the family law jurisdiction
- At least 3 years legal practice experience in family law and preferably experience in related areas such as intervention order matters; victims of crime assistance and tribunal matters;
- Demonstrated experience in family law casework including taking instructions; giving advice; preparing court documents; filing documents; appearing at court and negotiating at mediation;
- Advanced interpersonal skills and experience in working with clients from diverse backgrounds in an emphatic and culturally competent manner;
- Sound decision making skills and the ability to provide timely, accurate and strategic legal advice;
- Demonstrated time management and organisational skills.
- Experience in working in a Community Legal Centre environment and are familiar with the NACLC risk management guidelines and cross check procedures.
Conditions of Employment
- The position is a part-time, fixed term position;
- The position is 0.6 EFT;
- The annual salary for this position is negotiable depending on experience plus 9.5% superannuation pro rata;
- The position will attract five (5) weeks annual leave per annum, pro rata;
- Salary packaging may be provided subject to the terms of and conditions of the inTouch Salary Packaging Policy;
- Superannuation Scheme is available through HESTA and the provisions of the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992 will apply;
- The successful applicant will be required to undergo satisfactory pre-employment checks, including 2 referees, a national and/or international criminal records check, working with children check, proof of identify and qualifications. One referee must be from the most recent direct supervisor;
- Signing a Confidentially Agreement is a requirement of inTouch;
- The successful applicant will initially be engaged for a probationary period of six months. During this period, either party can terminate employment with one week’s notice;
- The successful applicant will be required to disclose any pre-existing illness or injury that they know about which could be reasonably foreseen to be affected by the work duties described. Pursuant to s.82 (7) of the Accident Compensation Act, failure to disclose such a condition will mean that if employed, they will not be paid compensation for that condition;
- Some travel within Queensland and Victoria may be required from time to time. A current Queensland Driver’s License is essential;
- inTouch has a smoke-free workplace policy.
A full position description is attached below.