Education Officers - Melbourne Zoo - Casual
Employer: Zoos Victoria
Work Type/s: Casual
Classification/s: Animal Welfare & Protection, Education & Training, Environment & Sustainability, Youth
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 10 January, 2017.
Applications close: 30 January, 2017.
- Education Officer (multiple positions)
- Casual (Monday-Friday)
- $40.12 per hour plus superannuation
- Based in Learning Experiences Team, Melbourne Zoo
Melbourne Zoo is seeking dynamic and self-directed Education Officers to join our Learning Experiences Team in a casual capacity. During the Victorian school terms, our Casual Education Officers are integral to supporting the Learning Experience Teams' objective to deliver all school bookings and provide school visits that are consistent, high quality learning experiences. Throughout the school holiday period, Casual Education Officers are involved in the delivery of school holiday programs, ensuring these visitor programs are safe, engaging and fun. The role requires Educators with the confidence to deliver all Education for Conservation (EfC)programs from Kinder to VCE and the ability to develop and/or lead holiday programs.
The key responsibilities of this role are to:
- Deliver innovative learning experiences that create emotional connections with wildlife, build deeper ecological understandings and facilitate conservation action
- Deliver Melbourne Zoo's Early Years, Middle Years and VCE Education for Conservation programs and adapt teaching styles to effectively work with a range of student abilities and needs
- Support the Learning Experiences Team in preparation and maintenance of teaching resources
- Liaise with EfC co-ordinators to ensure up-to-date knowledge of the programs and supporting resources
- Develop, prepare and deliver school holiday programs such as Kids Go Wild and YATZ programs
- Maintain professional training such as animal handling, encounters training and professional learning such as knowledge of key EfC species and Zoos Victoria's Community Conservation Campaigns.
The successful candidate will require:
- Teaching Qualifications and Working with Children Check (or VIT)
- An ability to work in a team and independently
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong conservation values and an ability to promote Zoos Victoria's key messages
- A minimum availability to work 2 days per week (Mon- Fri) in school terms and 3 days per school holiday. Availability of greater than 3 days per week and being available at short notice will be highly regarded.
The successful applicant would be required to be available for an interview early February and available to start during Term 1 2017.