Member Growth and Development Officer
Employer: United Services Union
Work Type/s: Contract, Part Time
Classification/s: Business Development & Sales, Unions & Workers Rights, Advocacy & Campaigns, Communications & Marketing
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Canberra & ACT
Job posted on: 12 January, 2017.
Applications close: 27 January, 2017. (Expired)
- 6 month temporary role
- Convenient, Canberra location
- 9 day fortnight
- From $74,212 to $83,457 plus superannuation (pro rata)
About the Organisation
The United Services Union (USU) is a NSW/ACT based Union representing members in NSW and the ACT across local government, energy, airline and clerical & administrative positions industry sectors. The USU is an organisation that believes in social justice and offers a number of services to our members including negotiating awards, negotiating collective agreements, protecting your rates of pay, protecting your conditions of employment, protecting you against unfair dismissal, conciliating and arbitrating disputes and protecting your health and safety at work.
About the Opportunity
This position is responsible for the planning, development, coordinating and implementation of recruitment and marketing strategies ensuring the ongoing viability of the Union. The position will be responsible for site mapping, marketing information to promote a favourable view of the Union’s, products and services to strengthen and grow the Union. The Position will assist organisers and managers enhance membership participation through the marketing and recruitment of potential members, and representing the interests of those members in the industrial arena. You will also be responsible for the following:
- Work within a trade union and industrial context to bring about change and improve and protect members working conditions;
- Persuade employees to join the Union and advise and encourage members to participate in the Union;
- Assist with campaigns and other major activities;
- Ensure accurate membership and mapping records are maintained for relevant areas;
- Design and implement a workplace visits program, within parameters set by the organisation;
- Organise the distribution of Union material;
- Write letters, bulletins or other marketing material;
- Address workplace or delegate meetings and play an active role in ensuring effective communications between the Union and its members;
- Participate in developing and implementing team strategies and work plans and assist with the implementation of Union campaigns;
- Advise organisers and management on campaign and advertising strategies to reach target markets, creating membership awareness
- Plan and organise publicity campaigns and material to create favourable publicity
About the Candidate
The Union is looking for someone who is a proven business developer and a motivated sales person. You will have proven experience developing a market that is new for the organisation and may not even be aware of a Union and what we can offer members. You will have a passion for social justice as well as be resilient and not afraid of knockbacks.
What's in it for you
- The team is growing and the Union is growing.
- A motor vehicle as a tool of trade, which allows for private use
- You will be provided with a fully subsidised mobile phone and computer/tablet for work and private use (per policy)
- Working conditions include:
- 9 day fortnight
- 3 days concessional leave
- 1 picnic day
- Health and fitness allowance, etc.