Employer: Nature Conservation Council of NSW / NoW Public Transport Inc
Work Type/s: Contract, Full Time, Part Time
Classification/s: Advocacy & Campaigns, Environment & Sustainability, Sustainable Transport
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 24 February, 2017.
Applications close: No Deadline – please apply as soon as possible
NoWestConnex Public Transport Inc. (NoWPT) is a co-ordinating body for a diverse, democratic alliance of organisations with a shared vision of a sustainable future for Greater Sydney. We are seeking a passionate, experienced and skilled Community Organiser to coordinate the campaign opposing the WestConnex tollways and promoting public transport alternatives.
- Stop the WestConnex Projects
- Promote a sustainable integrated transport system for Greater Sydney based on public transport.
- Coordinate, together with the NoW Public Transport Inc Committee, the Campaign to stop WestConnex activities.
- Assist new groups to form and existing groups to strengthen and extend their activities.
- Develop, update and implement campaign strategy to promote key objectives, in collaboration with NoWPT and community stakeholders.
- Negotiate with community stakeholders, action groups, local councils, trade unions, and political parties to achieve key agreed objectives.
- Ensure regular information sharing and communication with NoWPT members and supporters, community stake holders and local councils including making research reports available in accessible form to all campaigning groups.
- Enhance organisational capacity of community groups opposing WestConnex – training, developing NationBuilder, building lists, etc.
- Enable the provision of advice and support to campaigning groups.
- Ensure strong media presence for the campaign both by initiating opportunities and by assisting stakeholders and action groups to obtain coverage.
- Attend meetings of NoWPT, and other anti-WestConnex groups, as required.
- Demonstrated experience in diverse advocacy campaign organisation, implementation and co-ordination, including the organising of volunteers (min. 2 years experience preferred).
- Strong consultative and interpersonal skills with demonstrated capacity to communicate and negotiate with broad range of stakeholders and groups.
- Demonstrated strong understanding of WestConnex Motorway project or a demonstrated ability to quickly grasp the key issues.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement a successful campaign strategy.
- Strong communication skills in both conventional and social media, including capacity to represent the campaign in the media and to coordinate spokespeople from various groups.
- Database management skills (experience with NationBuilder preferred).
- Availability to work irregular hours including weekends and evenings as required.
- knowledge of communication technologies useful for events.
- experience in design and production of print materials.
Position is Full Time however Job Share arrangements could be considered.
Contract period is until 30 September 2017. Potential extension should funding permit.
A full position description is attached below.