Research Assistant - Database (voluntary)
Employer: Market Forces
Work Type/s: Volunteer
Classification/s: Advocacy & Campaigns, Environment & Sustainability, Green Energy, Policy & Research
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 15 December, 2016.
Applications close: 29 January, 2017.
Market Forces is an affiliate project of Friends of the Earth Australia. For four years we have built highly impactful campaigns and supported those of many other grassroots groups and NGOs. Our model has been to build major databases of information, allowing us to shine a light on the financiers of the fossil fuel industry and use people power to hold accountable the financial institutions that are financing coal, oil and gas, shifting finance from these sectors to clean, renewable energy. We're looking for a passionate researcher and environmental campaigner to join our research team and help further this vital part of our work.
Time commitment: 2-4 days per week for three months, with possibility of an ongoing commitment. Potential, based on Market Forces income, to make the position partly or fully waged beyond the initial three months.
Position reports to: Research Coordinator
Key tasks and duties:
- Assist the expansion and structuring of Market Forces’ database concerning loans to the fossil fuel and renewable energy sectors, which forms the basis for our reports, briefings and other materials.
- Contribute to and help deliver research briefings and advisories for individuals and groups seeking to conduct finance / corporate campaigning.
- Conduct desk and field-based investigative research to better understand the strategies of campaign targets, as agreed with the Research Coordinator.
The first task will overwhelmingly be what the role in its initial few months consists of.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is deeply passionate about environmental issues, particularly climate change, and is motivated by the desire to create positive environmental change from the financial sector.
- Has experience working in a campaigning / non-government organisation context.
- Has a background in commerce, business, economics or finance (students of these or related disciplines are encouraged to apply).
- Is skilled and comfortable with data management, and is especially proficient in MS Excel and other spreadsheet / database software.
- Is analytical and curious by nature.
- Is able to work independently.
Logistics and expenses:
This position is based at Market Forces’ Melbourne (CBD) office. Market Forces will cover costs incurred as a result of campaign work (e.g. travel, accommodation) but costs are to always be agreed beforehand with the Executive Director.