Organiser - Climate-Health Training and Capacity Building
Employer: Climate and Health Alliance
Work Type/s: Contract, Part Time
Classification/s: Advocacy & Campaigns, Education & Training, Environment & Sustainability, Green Energy, Health Promotion
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 16 December, 2016.
Applications close: 15 January, 2017. (Expired)
This is a role for a results-oriented, highly productive Organiser to deliver training and capacity building for a network of organisations campaigning on climate change and health. This position is to develop and deliver a training program for health professionals to support the campaign for a National Strategy for Climate, Health and Well-being for Australia being led by the Climate and Health Alliance (CAHA). This position will support outreach and engagement for the campaign, assist with campaign coordination, and have the responsibility of creating, running and assessing an education and training program for health professionals. The goal of the training program is to build capacity for leadership among health professionals to take action on climate change in their profession and the wider community.
The position is a 0.4 contract position for eight months, from February – September 2017. There is potential for an ongoing role, dependent on available funding.
The position is required to:
- Strengthen the active engagement of health professionals and health organisations in the national campaign through mobilising and organising.
- Develop the core curriculum (including all materials required) for the delivery for the training program in consultation with a project reference group and critical friends.
- Ensure curriculum aligns with the objectives and tactics for the campaign for a National Strategy on Climate, Health and Well-being for Australia.
- Consult with colleagues on developing core messages for the training in order to communicate key ‘asks’ in the context of the campaign.
- Develop / source relevant and meaningful activities and materials for education training program to support health professionals to act on climate change.
- Identify, recruit and register candidates for the training program.
- Identify and recruit training partners and consultants to help deliver the program.
- Establish a mentoring program to support program participants.
- Lead weekly meetings with other organisers, partners and campaign group members.
- Communicate effectively with external parties to secure the necessary services, materials and venue/s required for the program.
- Measure and assess outcomes from the program, propose continuing improvements to future programs
- Keep CAHA and campaign partners and supporters updated on the progress of the training program.
- Ensure a record is kept of all materials and correspondences for future programs.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts to secure funding for future programs.
Knowledge, experience (including qualifications) and skills
- Ability to lead and organise, build relationships, motivate and develop individuals or groups.
- Experience in community organising and capacity building strategies.
- Experience in developing and delivering educational workshops, courses and seminars in health / sustainability / climate change.
- Experience in sourcing and developing training programs and materials.
- Strong written and oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and outstanding organisation skills.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines.
- High level of awareness regarding the impact of climate change on health.
- Skills and experience in digital campaigning and online media.
- Ability to develop organise and execute campaigns and produce materials, tactics and metrics to support them.
- Experience in securing project funding through grants and / or philanthropic donations.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- Qualifications in education and training for social change / community development.
The Organiser (Training and Capacity Building) reports directly to the CAHA Executive Director / Campaigns Director, is accountable to the CAHA Committee of Management, and liaises with the Campaign Core Organising Group and Education Working Group (a subcommittee of the Core Group), as well as external partners and stakeholders.