Community Engagement Officer - Events, Fundraising and Education
Employer: The AIDS Action Council of the ACT Incorporated
Work Type/s: Full Time, Part Time
Classification/s: Community Development, Education & Training, Fundraising, GLBTI & Sexual Health, Health Promotion
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Location: Canberra & ACT
Job posted on: 10 April, 2017.
Applications close: 01 May, 2017.
The AIDS Action Council of the ACT is looking for a person or people for part time to fulltime work with the necessary skills and experience to progress the objectives of the organisation - based in Canberra. You will be rewarded for your hard work and dedication with generous salary packaging options, flexible working arrangements, outstanding opportunities for ongoing training and professional development.
About the Organisation
The AIDS Action Council (the Council) is a community-based health organisation that originated in 1983 from a grass roots response to a looming crisis. The AIDS Action Council aims to reduce transmission and minimise the personal and social impacts of HIV/AIDS by delivering care and support services as well as broad HIV education and health promotion activities.
The organisation is close to the City, in Turner, close to the Braddon (Canberra’s little piece of Melbourne). The Council is a peer-based, community driven organisation with a friendly team.
Information for role
We currently have a unique opportunity for you if you are flexible, dynamic, a team player and self -motivated. There is a range of work across our community engagement team ready for you to take on, if you have a keen interest in men’s health specifically gay men’s health with skills in education development or demonstrated experience in project management with an emphasis on event management this may be the opportunity for you.
This unique opportunity will let you tell us what you can do and how your skills and attributes can contribute to providing highly quality and innovative services to people living with HIV and more broadly the LGBTIQ communities we serve and help us achieve outcomes against our strategic plan.
The AIDS Action Council values diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from suitably qualified Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse communities and members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer communities.
- Working with vulnerable people registration for the ACT – or ability to obtain.
- The right to work in Australia.
- Current Australian drivers licence.
- Commitment to social justice and social inclusion.
- Tertiary qualifications or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline (eg events management, health education or community development).
- A demonstrated understanding of the issues facing people living with HIV.
- An understanding of gay men’s health and issues impacting the LGBTIQ community.
- Demonstrated understanding and enthusiasm for working in the community health sector.
- Skills and experience in project management.
- Skills and experience in event management.
- Highly developed skills and demonstrated ability in curriculum and content development.
- Experience and demonstrated ability in delivering training and education.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Computer literacy skills, including experience working with the Microsoft Office Suite of products and a willingness to develop skills in working with CRM and information management in an electronic environment.