Employment Mentor - Aspect Capable
Employer: Autism Spectrum Australia
Work Type/s: Contract, Part Time
Classification/s: Disability Services, HR & Employment Services, Social Work
Sector/s: Not For Profit (NFP)
Job posted on: 11 January, 2017.
Applications close: No Deadline – please apply as soon as possible
Job No: ASPECT437
- Location: Hawthorn, VIC
- Employment support for adults on the autism spectrum
- Part time, 12 month fixed term contract - immediate start
- 7.6 hrs/1 day a week - flexible
- Approx. $25.42 per hour + Super
- Tax-effective PBI salary packaging benefits
- Based in Hawthorn, VIC
Autism Spectrum Australia (Aspect) is Australia’s largest national specialist autism provider, delivering services to people within NSW, ACT, Victoria and SA. Aspect provides a range of centre and community based services, focussing on education, early intervention, skills development, community engagement and self-directed options for people on the autism spectrum.
About Aspect Capable:
Aspect Capable Mentoring Program offers guidance and advice to assist adults on the spectrum move into the world of work with ease and confidence. Our Employment Mentors are experienced in offering specialist employment support, so we understand individuals unique strengths and the barriers faced when making the transition into employment. We work with people to uncover their untapped capabilities to fulfil their potential in the workplace and find meaningful employment
About the role:
Aspect Capable is looking for a talented mentor to assist in the development of the service and offer a quality mentoring service. As part of an exciting project you will provide employment support to people on the autism spectrum, working with them towards employment goals & milestones, implement action plans & support them to develop skills to find & maintain meaningful employment.
You will also work with employers to raise awareness of the positive contribution people on the autism spectrum can make to the workplace & build strong connections within the community to build awareness offers the potential to increase hours and extend days.
As this role develops, there may be potential to increase hours or days.
- Promote positive understanding of autism & actively apply strengths-based principals & strategies to help participants prepare for & find meaningful employment
- Build & maintain trustworthy, consistent & positive relationships with participants
- Proactively support & communicate with participants outside of sessions
- Coordinate meetings with participants on a regular schedule that complies with each participant’s individual requirements
- Maintain communication between participant, Aspect Capable Employment Coordinator, parents, health professionals & other interested parties
- Update & maintain documentation & records on Carelink database as required to enable superior program delivery
- Undertaking initial assessments/consultations for new participants or participants who wish to have an assessment only
- To build the service by raising awareness of the program, tapping into the community and different organisations
- To nurture current relationships with stakeholders ensuring to meet targets/requirements
- To answer and record enquiries
- To facilitate workshops and training
Skills and experiences:
- Demonstrated knowledge of autism
- Tertiary qualification in Welfare, Social Science or Disability Studies or similar
- Certificate IV Employment Services an advantage, but not essential
- Demonstrated understanding & commitment to working with people who have a disability
- Proven ability to build rapport & maintain effective relationships with job seekers towards gaining & maintaining sustainable employment opportunities.
- Ability to manage time & workloads effectively
- Ability to identify and provide solutions to meet the needs of job seekers in overcoming barriers to employment
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with strong verbal & written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in working independently & autonomously
- Demonstrated intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Office applications
- Current valid VIC driver’s licence
- Use of own car would be an advantage
- VIC Working With Children Check for paid employment
If successful you will also be required to undertake a National Police Check which Aspect will arrange.
What we offer:
A competitive package will be based on relevant qualifications & experience. As a Public Benevolent Institution (PBI), Aspect employees receive tax-effective salary packaging opportunities including $15,899 each year tax free. This means you can increase the value of your take-home pay.
Click here to view the Position Profile.